Sudarat Edges Prayut As People’s Top Choice For PM – Nida Poll

0
529

Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan, chairwoman of the Pheu Thai Party’s election strategy committee, is the people’s top choice for prime minister under the current election law, according to a new poll.

The National Institute of Development Administration survey or Nida Poll was conducted 20-22 November on 1,260 people nationwide aged 18 and above of various education level and occupation.

Thanathorn, Abhisit Are 3rd And 4th Choices

It was the fifth survey this year by Nida on the people’s choices for prime minister, following earlier polls in March, May, July and September. Sudarat had come second behind current prime minister Prayut Chan-o-cha in these four surveys.

Asked to name their favourite for the post of prime minister, 25.16 percent of respondents chose Sudarat. Prayut followed next with 24.05 percent, then came Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit the leader of the Future Forward Party with 14.52 percent and in fourth, Abhisit Vejjajiva the Democrat Party leader with 11.67 percent.

Asked to name the party they wanted to see form the core of the next government, the Pheu Thai Party came top with 31.75 percent followed by the Palang Pracharat Party with 19.92 percent, the Democrat Party with 16.98 percent, the Future Forward Party with 15.63 percent, the Seri Ruam Thai Party with 5.32 percent, the Chartthaipattana Party with 2.14 percent, the Thai Raksa Chart Party with 1.83 percent, the Action Coalition for Thailand Party with 1.67 percent, the Bhumjaithai Party with 1.35 percent and the Palang Chart Thai Party with 0.79 percent.

Concerning the general election date tentatively set for 24 February 2019, a slight majority of respondents – 50.71 percent – said they believed the election could be postponed again because many parties weren’t yet ready for it, while 48.81 percent believed it would not be postponed as the political situation had begun to return to normal and 0.48 percent were uncertain or had no comment.

A majority of respondents – 61.67 percent – said they wanted new parties with new faces and new policies to form the government after the election. On the other hand, 38.33 percent wanted to stick to the old parties in the belief that their knowledge, capabilities and experience would allow them to do a better job.

Photo: TNA

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here