Thailand’s enduring popularity as a favourite destination among travellers the world over can be seen in the record number of international tourist arrivals the kingdom is seeing – 35.38 million in 2017 – but also in the numerous travel awards and accolades it’s earned in recent months. These include:
- ‘Best Destination – Asia Pacific’ in the Travel Weekly Asia 2018 Readers’ Choice Awards
- ‘Best Country for People’ and third ‘Best Country’ in Conde Nast Traveller UK’s 2018 Readers’ Travel Awards
- ‘Destination of the Year’ in the 29th Annual TTG Travel Awards 2018
- ‘Star Cultural & Heritage Holidays Destination’ in the Travel Bulletin Star Awards 2018
- ‘Best for Spa & Wellness’ in Travel Weekly UK’s Best Destinations in the World survey
- ‘Number One City’ third year running in Mastercard’s 2018 Global Destination Cities Index
- ‘Best Leisure Destination in the Asia Pacific’ third year running in the Business Traveller Awards 2018
- ‘Best City Destination in the Asia Pacific’ third year running in the DestinAsian Readers’ Choice Awards 2018
- Nan Province – ‘No.1 ASEAN Clean Tourist City’ at ASEAN Tourism Forum 2018
- Phuket – ‘Second Best Beach in the World’ in the U.S. News 2018-19 Best Vacations Rankings
- Chiang Mai – ‘Favourite Trending Destination in Southeast Asia’ in the KAYAK Travel Awards Singapore 2018
The record 35.38 million international tourist arrivals Thailand welcomed in 2017 represented a year-on-year increase of 8.8 percent. The tourism income that was generated amounted to THB 1.8 trillion (USD 55.18 billion), up 11.66 percent.
This year international arrivals for the nine month period of January-September totalled 28.5 million, up 8.7 percent over the same 2017 period. Revenue increased 11 percent to nearly THB 1.5 trillion (USD 45.98 billion).
The Tourism Authority of Thailand’s Amazing Thailand ‘Open to the New Shades’ communication concept, launched in visitor source markets worldwide, encourages visitors to Thailand to experience the destination through different perspectives, both new ones as well as existing ones.